The Chicco KidFit Booster Car Seat Review
The Chicco KidFit Booster is a 2 in 1 product that is specially designed with 10 height positioned side impact protection. This dual mode product can be used as
- A highback booster until the back portion is outgrown.
- A backless booster to use the bottom portion.
You can use this product until your child can pass the 5 step test and his safe transition to use the adult seatbelt. This product has also a kidFit zip version to easily zip off different panels for cleaning purpose.
KidFit product specifications
- Highback booster: 30-100 lbs., 38-57 inches tall. It is suitable for at least 4 years old, your child can sit straight and still in seatbelt all times.
- Backless booster: 40-110 lbs. your child can sit properly even in backless position.
- Lower LATCH anchor attachments.
- Simple and unique shoulder belt guide design.
- Allowed 10 height positions.
- 2-position backrest to match vehicle seat position.
- Thick EPS foam provides fully lined headrest.
- 2 space-saving cupholders made of flexible rubber material.
- It take 8 years to expire.
- Lower LATCH anchor connectors- the premium push on latch connectors attach easily and quickly. You can tighten up both straps at the same time by pulling on the central adjuster strap at the front of the base. This feature is referred as Super Cinch but it is different from the Nextfit convertible, as it does not have the force multiplying system. In this product, the term Super Cinch is used to describe Chicco’s center-pull LATCH adjustment.
- Lower LATCH connectors are optional to use. When you are not using the latch connectors, pull the straps to retract the connectors.
Guide to use unique features of KidFit product
The two unique features of car seat are introduced in this product of KidFit. The guide to use these features is:
- Shoulder belt guide– the opening into the guide is situated at the top to place the shoulder belt into it. In this case, the belt won’t slip when your child is buckling the belt. These are the small things with bigger benefits especially when seat belt is constantly coming out of the guide.
- Cup holders- the flexible rubber sides can be pushed as much as your child needs space. These cup holders are of great use when you need to place another car seat or booster next to KidFit. These are easily removable as well as washable.
Measurement of the KidFit car seat
- 10 height positions ranges from lowest 13.5 inches to tallest 19.5 inches (measured to bottom of shoulder belt guide).
- Depth of seating area is 15 inches.
- Width of seating area is 11inches wide at back and 12 inches wide near the cup holders.
Fit the product according to the child
Every child is different from another child not only psychologically, emotionally and socially but also physically. Before buckling the belt, always adjust the height of the booster so that the shoulder belt guide can be positioned at the top of the shoulder. When your child’s shoulders are above the shoulder belt guide, the back can be outgrown. You can remove the outgrown back, if not in use. After removing the back, you can use the bottom portion of the car seat. This KidFit car seat may not be a good choice for parents who have very tall or large torsoed child. Those child needs high back booster for a long time.
This belt fit all my models with highback and backless boosters. In each case, the belt as low as it touches the top of thighs. In highback setting, the shoulder belt crosses the center of the child’s shoulder when headrest was in correct height setting. This shoulder belt also suited the models with tall heights.
The spare shoulder belt positioning strap or clip is also provided with the product purchase that can be used seat is in backless mode. This additional strap or clip is neatly placed under the seat. According to me, this strap or clip can be rarely used. In backless setting, the clip cannot be used.
Fit the product according to the vehicle
The LATCH connectors makes the product easy to attach and tighten up. So that it doesn’t move when the child comes in and out. Chicco requires standard latch spacing with this product in order to take advantage of the feature when used in the center seating position. Using the latch connectors is optional, so you can use the product even if you can’t take advantage of this feature. The good thing is the wide opening of shoulder belt guide and its ideal position where it can work well. The shoulder belt guide works with belt geometry in different vehicles and seating positions.
Interference with vehicle head restraint– while setting the booster in a car seat position, check the vehicle head restraint. If the vehicle head restraint is touching with the headrest of the booster, it will keep pushing the booster headrest forward. Raise or remove the vehicle head restraint. If it is not possible to remove or raise, try another seating position to avoid inconvenience. You can use a backless setting but make sure your child is proper size to backless booster.
Safety tips- a safety tip shared by Chicco in the KidFit manual is, when the booster is in the highback setting, although it is secured with latch connectors, buckle the seatbelt over the booster(when no child is sitting in it). This will keep the booster from rotating in a crash, the back portion won’t break off and became projectile. But if it is not buckled up, it will move forward and keep rotating.
When you are using the KidFit car seat in a backless setting, the latch connectors are enough to keep the product stick to its place when unoccupied. We as a parent don’t need to be worried about always remembering and repeating the same process, just do it once and forget it. I could imagine that this movement of back portion in an unoccupied car seat can happen with these kind of 2 in 1 boosters. These boosters have lower latch connectors but no tether strap.
Covering and level of comfort
The cover of this KidFit product is well padded and fabric is very well tucked into the shells that give the booster a neat look. An additional piece of comfort foam is available that is secured in a pocket underneath the booster. You can use this additional comfort foam when using the seat in backless setting. Just need to tuck the extra flap attached to the bottom of the cover to get that additional piece of foam. The cover of the product is not easy to remove for cleaning purposes. But the cover of bottom portion can be easily removed and reattached. The cover of back portion is difficult to remove but that rarely needs cleaning, so it doesn’t affect the popularity of product. When removed, the cover can be washed in machine with delicate cycle and washed with hands with mild soap and water.
There are many advantages of the products that customers can enjoy. Some of them are listed here.
- Every instruction or guide is clearly written in the manual.
- Seat belt can fit properly on children of different sizes and age.
- Older kids can easily buckle themselves in.
- Easy to use lower latch connectors can keep the booster stable when your child moves in or out and also in any crash.
- It can easily be converted into backless booster when back is outgrown.
- Cover is extra padded with premium fabric tucked very neatly.
- Thick energy-absorbing EPS foam is present in the head wings.
- 10 height positions.
- 2 recline positions to better fit the vehicle.
- With wide opening of the shoulder belt guide, the belt cannot slip from the shoulder unintentionally.
- Vehicle head restraint support is not required.
- Cover is both machine and hand washable, can be reattached easily.
- Cupholders are removable, washable and dishwasher safe.
- Vehicle upholstery cannot be damaged with smooth bottom base of the product.
With all these above-mentioned benefits of the car seat booster, there are some of the disadvantages too.
- Comparing to other highback boosters available in the market, it is not as tall as others are.
- Latch attachment cannot be used on central car seating position because of the absence of standard latch spacing.
- When seat is not in highback setting and unoccupied, it is recommended to secure the booster with seat belt even if it is latched.
- Not suitable for vehicles that have hard head restraint to remove or raise.
- Very little assembly required and it is made in China.
The Chicco KidFit Booster is a new addition to the family of most demanded boosters. This product is well made, comfortable, easy to use and has amazing features. It is not even expensive to buy for your child, as it only cost $99. As I have described above in the article, it is not as tall as other competitive products in the market. It can turn into backless booster when your child outgrows the height of back portion. All of the car seat products available in the market have their specific advantages as well as disadvantages. Overall, this product is a good choice to buy for your child. I am recommending this product to others.